Posted By Ahijoy On January 24, 2022
Heat Transfer Vinyl For Hats
Heat transfer vinyl is your go to buddy whenever you want to jazz up your attire and enliven it. It adds vibrance and glamor to an otherwise mundane piece of clothing. The usage of HTV, however, is not just limited to clothes. You can use this versatile material to add pizzazz to accessories such as hats as well.
You can apply beautiful designs on almost any headwear that can resist heat and is made of a material that bonds well with HTV. There are approximately 40 kinds of different hats used. All can be decorated with HTV using the right method that we will be discussing in this blog.
Why Should We Use HTV On Hats?
There are many ways to embellish a hat, then why use heat transfer vinyl to do so? Here are a few very valid reasons:
- A plain, monochrome hat might not look as appealing as a customized one. For a crafter, personalizing a product satiates creativity.
- If you own a business, you can apply the logo of your firm using vinyl on hats and keep them as free giveaways to customers. This can also prove to be a great source of advertising consequently making people familiar with your business’ trademark.
- Another objective can be building your startup where you offer to customize hats for individuals or corporations. But for that, you will be needing proper equipment. Hats are worn and loved all over the world. They never go out of style. They are a fashion accessory that will always be in demand. Changing seasons do not affect them hence personalizing them is a good business proposition with a huge market and using HTV is the most cost effective way to do so.
- You must have seen hats with designs embroidered on them. This is also a way to customize them but then it is very time consuming and expensive. Using heat transfer vinyl to transfer a beautiful design on a hat is economical and does not take long either.
- HTV is very user friendly. You don’t need to have any special skills to use it on different products. It is easy to apply and can be done using a heat press. Plus you get a lot of variety, colors, patterns and textures in HTV. You can choose whatever your heart desires or according to the demand of your customer.
Most Popular HTV For Hats
When choosing heat transfer vinyl for hats, it is imperative to get premium quality for smooth application and longevity. The best place to get HTV under one roof is Ahijoy. Some of the different kinds of HTV that you can easily use with hats are:
- Glitter HTV: This is perfect for using on hats. It adds a little shimmer and bling to the design, making it distinctive and highly noticeable. At Ahijoy, we have plain glitter HTV and glitter stripes HTV which has a colorful linear pattern all over it.
- Flock HTV: This is another amazing textured vinyl that has a faux suede look. Available in a wide range of shades, it is a bit thicker adding depth and dimension to the design.
- Buffalo Plaid: This patterned HTV is classic and looks perfect when applied on a hat. At Ahijoy, it is available in buffalo plaid and snow buffalo plaid categories. The design is perfect for the holiday season and looks amazing against a plain background.
- PVC Heat Transfer Vinyl: This is another great option. Available in a wide variety of colors, it is perfect for embellishing hats in contrasting shades.
There are other varieties available at Ahijoy as well that you can choose from to give your hat a captivating decal.
The Process Of Transferring HTV On Hats
The procedure of transferring vinyl decal on a hat is pretty simple, but first you must have the right tools needed for it such as.
- Premium quality vinyl. Select from a wide variety available at Ahijoy.
- Cutting machine.
- Cutting mat.
- Weeding pen. Ahijoy has some of the best weeding pens available to make the job a breeze.
- Hat press or a heat press.
- Oven mitts.
The Initial Steps
Select a design of your choice and cut it on an automated cutter such as Cricut or Silhouette. You will have to use the software that comes with these machines to transfer your design.
Once the decal is cut, weed out the extra vinyl to bring forth what you have actually visualized. Now it's time to transfer it to the hat. For this, it is better to have a hat press. For standard HTV, the heat settings should be 305°F for 20 seconds. Apply medium to firm pressure. If you are using specialty HTV like glitter or Flock, the heat setting should be 320°F for 20 seconds with medium to firm pressure. Let’s see how it works.
Using The Hat Press
One of the easiest and professional ways to adhere HTV to a hat is using the hat press. The hat press is a heating device with a curved ceramic base and an adjustable arm. You can conveniently set your hat on it. It is also much smaller in size since it is designed for small items like hats, headbands, toys etc.
Preheat the press, and adjust your hat over the rounded surface with your decal fixed on it. Secure it at the corners with a ThermoTape so that it does not get displaced. Once you are certain of its position, bring the heating iron down on it and press for about 20 seconds.
Remove the heating arm and peel off the transfer tape slightly from the edge only to check if the HTV has transferred completely. If the vinyl is coming off with the sheet, press it on for a couple of seconds more and it will adhere to your hat strongly. Now remove the sheet from your hat and behold the beautiful design perfectly transferred onto your hat.
Can We Use The Classic Heat Press For A Hat?
Of course you can! The heat press machine always works. You will have to employ a little trick but the job will surely be done. Before you start do not forget to wear oven mitts because you would not want to burn your hands. Secure the vinyl on the surface of the hat and take it to the preheated iron part of the heat press. Now press the specific area (where you have the decal) of your hat against it using your hands and keep it there until you are sure that the HTV has transferred. Carefully remove the transferring tape revealing the final look of your hat.
The Regular Iron To The Rescue
In case you do not own either of the presses and you really want to transform your boring hat into a trendy eye-catching accessory, pick up your regular dry iron at home and get the job done. Place the HTV on the desired spot on your hat, wear oven mitts and put your hand underneath the cap while you iron the decal over it. Set the temperature on linen and press until the design has perfectly transferred.
Tips To Ensure Longevity Of The HTV On Hats
After all the hard work you have done and the praises you have earned, you would want your design to stay intact for a longer period of time. This requires some care and precautions. Here’s what you need to do:
- Do not expose the HTV to further heat. It will ruin the quality of the adhesive.
- Hand wash the hat and do not use bleach.
- Washing with cold water will maintain the adhesive of the HTV.
- After washing, let your object air dry on a clothesline away from the sun since using a machine dryer will cause distress to the design.
- Keep the hat in its original form, crushing it or twisting it will destroy the decal.
Frequently Asked Questions
It's time to add a little shimmer to your hat. Get the truly amazing heat transfer vinyl film from Ahijoy and transform that plain accessory into a beautiful piece of art. You can very easily apply HTV designs on hats using a hat press or a simple at-home iron. You must then follow proper care instructions to ensure your design lasts for a long time.