Posted By Ahijoy On April 11, 2023
How To Put Vinyl On A Cup?
If you love to drink tea or coffee, you would definitely want a customized cup for yourself. You can make one by putting a vinyl design on it. You can personalize your favorite cup in any way you like with letterings, exquisite decals, or simply your name. Just having premium quality vinyl is the key! In this post, you will learn in detail how you can put vinyl on your cup.
Why Should I Put Vinyl On My Cup?
There are many reasons why customizing cups is a good idea. If you are a novice trying your hand in the world of crafting for the first time, you can hone your skills by personalizing your cup that you love to drink tea in. Even if the process goes wrong, it doesn’t matter as it will be considered as a learning curve.
Once you have mastered the art, there is no dearth of ideas when using vinyl on a cup. You can create a whole set with the design of your choice, something that is not commonly available in the market and depicts your signature style. You can start a small business and sell these or gift them to your friends and family.
You can make distinctive party favors by customizing cups and filling them with treats for your guests. This will be a keepsake that they will cherish. Before starting, however, you must know what different kinds of adhesive vinyl you can use to customize your cup.
Best Vinyl For Cups
Selecting the suitable vinyl for cups is the very first step. There are two kinds of adhesive vinyl available: Permanent and removable. Removable adhesive vinyl has a low tack and is not long lasting. It is used for indoor crafts and projects that you would want to change with the passage of time. It will not work on cups and may come off easily as these are washed frequently even if you are not putting them in a dishwasher.
Permanent adhesive vinyl is the best for putting on cups. It has high tack and lasts for many years without any wear or tear. It is more durable and resistant to peeling or fading over time. Its adhesive creates a permanent bond with the surface it is applied to.
You will get a lot of variety, both in colors and finishes, in permanent adhesive vinyl. The standard variant is available in matte and glossy finishes in numerous shades. You can also get glitter adhesive vinyl. It is perfect for adding a sparkly touch to your cups. It has minute flecks of glitter on its surface and is available in a range of colors. There is also metallic adhesive vinyl that is high on shine like a metal and can be used to add a touch of glamor and elegance. You can even get it in gold and silver shade.
Tools Required To Put Vinyl On A Cup
Once you have chosen the cup that you want to customize and the type of permanent vinyl that you will use on it, you need to have the following implements for a perfect job:
- Your favorite cutting machine: The most commonly used are Cricut and Silhouette. These come with their own built-in software, Design Space and Silhouette Studio, respectively that helps you tweak your decal that you will put on your cup. They also have a directory from which you can choose a design if you haven’t thought of one.
- Cutting mat: This is an important tool when cutting the vinyl design for the cup. It is made up of a self-healing material that is durable and has a slightly tacky surface. This allows the mat to hold the material being cut securely in place while also protecting the surface underneath from damage caused by the cutting blade.
- Weeding tool: At Ahijoy, we have some of the best weeding pens that help in easily lifting and removing negative vinyl from the design.
- Transfer tape. This is a thin, semi-transparent adhesive tape that will be used to transfer vinyl designs or lettering from their original backing to the surface of the cup. This will allow precise and perfectly aligned application of the design where you want it on the cup.
- Ruler or tape measure: This ensures that the size of the vinyl design is according to the cup it will be applied to.
- Squeegee: At Ahijoy, we have premium quality squeegees that help remove creases from the decal without any hassle.
- Isopropyl alcohol and a clean microfiber cloth: This is for cleaning the surface of the cup. A clean cup will ensure better and long lasting adherence of the vinyl decal.
Step-By-Step Guide To Putting Vinyl On A Cup
Following is a detailed explanation of how you can put a vinyl design on your cup.
Step 1: Measure The Space On Your Cup.
This is an important step as you don’t want the design to be too big or too small for the cup. It has to be of the right size and preferably centralized so measure the surface of the cup where you want to place the design to get an idea how big it would be.
Step 2: Prepare Your Design That You Want On Your Cup.
When you planned to customize your cup, you must have visualized a design that you want transferred. It can be your name with a simple character or you can cover the whole thing with an elaborate decal. It all depends on you. Prepare it on the software that comes with the cutting machine that you are using. You can also use any other software that you are well-versed in, such as Adobe Photoshop, but you will have to transfer the design once it’s edited to the built-in software of your machine. Adjust the measurement according to the one you have taken. Your design is ready to be sent for cutting.
Step 3: Clean The Cup For Perfect Adherence.
Next, clean the surface of the cup especially where you plan to place the design. Wash and dry it completely so nothing comes in between while you stick your decal. We recommend using a clean microfiber cloth with some isopropyl alcohol to wipe the cup to remove any dirt, debris or grease on it. The vinyl will only stick to the cup if it is cleaned properly.
Step 4: Checking The Settings Of Your Machine.
You need to set your Cricut or whatever machine you plan to use. Change the material settings to permanent vinyl. Before you cut your original design make sure to do a test cut on your vinyl to ensure that the settings are right and the vinyl is not cutting too deep otherwise it won’t weed.
Step 5: Cut The Design That You Finalized.
Once the design is ready, cut the sheet of vinyl that you have and place it on the cutting mat glossy side up. Its size should be bigger than that of your design. Load the mat in the machine and give the command to cut the design.
Step 6: Weeding Out Extra Vinyl.
With the help of a weeding tool or tweezers, weed out the unwanted vinyl. LIft off the vinyl piece using your weeding pen and remove every single one of it till you see your original design that you finalized on the software. This can be a bit time consuming especially if your design is intricate and has many small parts.
Step 7: Apply Transfer Tape To The Design.
Once you have weeded out all the negative pieces of vinyl from the design, it is time to apply the transfer tape on top of it. Remove the backing of the tape and apply it. Smooth it out with a squeegee to remove any bubbles or creases.
Step 8: Transfer The Vinyl Design To The Cup.
Lastly, remove the backing from the vinyl and place your design on the cup where you want it to be. Start from the corner and work your way in between. Use a squeegee to crease out any bubbles you see on your way. Press and smooth out the design thoroughly applying pressure to ensure that the design has perfectly adhered to the cup. Remove the transfer tape gently and your customized cup is ready to be used.
How Long Does Vinyl Last On Cups?
You must be thinking how long will your design last on your cup? The lifespan of permanent vinyl depends on various factors such as the quality of the vinyl, the brand, the application method, the type of cup material, and the frequency of use and washing.
In general, supreme quality permanent vinyl can last for several years on a cup with proper application and care. It can last you around 7 to 8 years or even more. However, exposure to extreme heat, direct sunlight, and frequent washing in a dishwasher may cause the vinyl to fade, crack, or peel off sooner.
To ensure the longevity of the vinyl on a cup, it is best to hand wash it gently with a mild soap and avoid using abrasive sponges or scrubbers. Additionally, avoid soaking the cup in water for extended periods. We recommend using a sealant to further save the decal from harsh elements.
How To Use A Sealant To Protect The Vinyl On The Cup?
You cannot put a cup that has permanent vinyl design on it in a dishwasher. This will make the vinyl peel and crack more quickly than expected. If you cannot wash it with hands, you can make it dishwasher safe by applying a sealant on the decal. This will enhance the life of your design so you can enjoy having tea in your cup for many years to come. Here’s how you can apply the sealant.
Steps To Seal The Cup After Vinyl Application
You will need the following items for this purpose:
- Different Ideas Regarding Vinyl On A Cup
- Brush. It is recommended to get a foam brush or the one with soft bristles.
- Rubbing alcohol for cleaning the surface.
- Clean cloth.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Clean the cup with isopropyl alcohol and a soft microfiber cloth. We know you did this thoroughly when you applied the vinyl but for the sealant, you will have to do it again. You cannot risk leaving any dirt or grease behind.
- Before applying the sealant make sure the alcohol has completely dried. Stir Mod Podge well but do not shake it as this can cause bubbles.
- Apply a thin coat all over the cup with a foam brush or a paintbrush with soft bristles. Make sure to especially cover the edges of the decal. Try to get a smooth and even finish by making sure that your brush strokes are in the same direction.
- Once you have applied the first coat, let it dry completely. This may take several hours. This primarily depends on the temperature and humidity in your environment. Do not rush. Let it dry thoroughly.
- When the first coat has dried, apply the second one of the Mod Podge in the same manner and allow it to dry as well. When it has completely dried, put the third coat of the sealant. Be patient and let the process take its due course.
- To ensure maximum durability, let the cup cure for at least 28 days in a clean, dry place. Make sure it is out of reach and is not used in the meanwhile. Do not expose it to water and other harsh elements as well.
- After the cup has completely cured, it is ready to use. You have successfully secured the decal on your cup.
Different Ideas Regarding Vinyl On A Cup
We present to you different creative ways in which you can use permanent craft vinyl on your cup:
If you are a fan of Starbucks, you will probably love to have a cup with their logo always by your side for your coffee at home. You can design it in vinyl and apply it for the same experience.
A Cup For Your Loved Ones
You can gift a customized cup to your loved ones with a message on it. It can be The World's Best Mom, Dad, or anyone you like. You can even put a special date on the cup or a quirky one liner for your best buddy.
Your Favorite Character From The Land Of Fantasy
Sometimes simplicity gives the best results, so why not just craft a simple face with eyes, a cute nose, and a horn? You can put any design on your cup: a unicorn, a fairy or a princess with magical powers.
If you have a crush on a celebrity, why not put their picture on your cup? But for this you will need printable permanent vinyl and the process will include printing the picture according to the size of the cup and then cutting the vinyl.
Cups For Bridal Shower
Yes, that's right. You can customize the cups with everyone's picture on top of it. The bridesmaid will surely love the idea. You can even make customized cups with vinyl decals in pink or blue for the gender reveal party.
You can put the first letter of your name on the cup in vinyl. It would be simple and sleek to be gifted as well. You can use luxurious fonts to get this done with some pretty hearts around it.
If your child is stubborn and doesn't like to drink milk, you can design the cup with his favorite cartoon character to encourage him or her. Children love to have a cup of their own that has their favorite cartoon character on it. For this as well, you will need printable permanent vinyl.
Tips To Make The Vinyl Last Longer
Make sure you follow these care tips to ensure durability of the vinyl on the cup:
- Use a different cup for hot and cold beverages. This way your vinyl decal will be safe from peeling or cracking.
- Though permanent vinyl is long-lasting and durable, we still recommend not using a dishwasher for it and also do not microwave it.
- If you want your designs to last longer then customize them using thick images and bold fonts. Intricate letters can peel off easily.
- Once you are done putting the vinyl on the cups, let it sit for 48 to 72 hours to cure so it sticks well. Make sure it doesn't get wet in the meantime.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s Decorate The Cup With Vinyl
Once you grasp the skill of decorating your cups with vinyl, you will love to customize them for every occasion. All you need is an excellent quality permanent vinyl and the right tools to get you started. After you have designed your cups, you can make the project long lasting by using a sealant. Visit Ahijoy, get the adhesive vinyl that you absolutely love and start crafting!