Posted By Ahijoy On April 05, 2023
Matte vs Glossy Stickers
Stickers are loved and treasured by young and old alike. Making them and embellishing various surfaces is not age specific, however the key question is whether to opt for matte or glossy stickers. We will discuss the attributes and downsides of both the finishes to help you decide which one to choose.
Matte vs Glossy Stickers: Qualitative Differences
Matte and glossy vinyl stickers are used in various crafts and projects due to their multifarious positive attributes. These are not only perfect DIY personal projects but also for banners, billboards, vehicles, drinkware, and so on. Both matte and glossy stickers come in various sizes and colors but they have a few distinctive qualities.
The major and most prominent difference between both types of stickers is the finish of their surface. Glossy vinyl has a shimmery, lustrous surface. If you want your project to gleam then glossy should be your choice. You cannot write on a glossy vinyl sticker as the ink can be easily wiped off.
Matte stickers have a muted, toned down finish. If it calls for focus on detail and shape, and a pastel color scheme, matte is the best. It is also easier to write on matte vinyl due to its texture. It absorbs the ink.
Reaction Under Light
Both matte and glossy stickers interact differently with light. It is imperative to take into account what kind of light they will be exposed to. Matte does not have any effect under any intensity of light. When light falls on it directly, it diffuses.
It is a totally different scenario with a glossy sticker. Light reflects off its surface causing a glare especially when it falls directly on it. If you want your project to be shimmery go for gloss. For a subtle effect sans shine when exposed to bright light, go for a matte vinyl sticker.
Removing glossy stickers is harder than matte. They have a strong adhesive and they may even peel the paint off during the process. Comparatively, matte stickers have weaker adhesion. They are easier to remove and they do not harm the surface beneath. Nevertheless neither matte nor glossy stickers can be reused once taken off.
Both matte and glossy stickers have good resistance. They are weatherproof and waterproof but there is a slight competition between the two. Glossy stickers are best at fighting off UV rays. Exposure to the sun will not do much damage to them.
On the contrary, the print and colors on matte stickers fade when exposed to sunlight. It is better to use them indoors.
Both the stickers are also resistant to liquid but matte may get some stains if oil is spilled on it. They may not get affected by water spill but any other liquid like oil or fuel can leave stains on them or damage their color. On a glossy finish, any liquid will slip off or we can even wipe it with a rag. Hence for extreme weather conditions or outdoor exposure, glossy stickers are the best choice.
Both matte and glossy stickers are durable. If properly taken care of, they can last up to 10 years. Their print or color might fade slightly but they will stay adhered to the surface. You must consider the environment you use them in. If the surroundings are favorable then both the stickers will stay intact. For example, matte will lose its life if it is continuously exposed to extreme temperatures or a glossy sticker will get ruined if it is struck by any sharp object time and again.
Matte stickers can be printed in an inkjet printer. For glossy ones, you need the latest laser printer.
Appearance And Colors
Glossy stickers are vibrant and the colors on them appear to be richer and more vivid. Matte stickers have toned down shades and are mostly pastel. There is also no gleam to the matte sticker’s design. Glossy makes the design pop out.
An Assortment Of Matte And Glossy Adhesive Vinyl
At Ahijoy, we have a wide variety of matte and glossy adhesive vinyl. These can be used to make monochrome stickers. Our vinyl is thin and flexible, offering easy application. It is durable and long lasting and can be applied to any smooth surface without hassle. Both the vinyl films are available in rolls of three different lengths: 24, 36 and 48 inches.
Our matte vinyl comes in a number of vivid shades such as olive green, lavender purple, silver, neon orange and light rose gold to name a few. It has a completely flat finish without any shine adding depth and dimension to your substrate where the sticker is applied.
Our glossy vinyl is one of the most highly coveted adhesive films. It is available in numerous shimmery shades such as dark green, rose pink, brown, gray, deep blue, orange and so on. With a sheen on its surface, it aids in making captivating stickers that are a treat for the eyes.
If you want to print customized designs on vinyl, we also offer printable white A4 size sheets that are matte in nature for making your own stickers. Simply finalize the design on your computer and print these in vibrant shades.
Uses of Matte Stickers
Matte stickers are versatile and are a great choice when you want a subtle, understated, sophisticated look. They can be used for a variety of purposes such as:
- Matte stickers are ideal for product labels as they provide a professional and high-quality appearance. They give the product a high-end facade and a natural, organic feel. They are commonly used for food, and beverage packaging. They are also used in barcode labels.
- They can be used for promotional campaigns, especially if the design has small text or fine details. Matte finish makes these stand out and be noticed. They are also great for event stickers, such as concert, festival, or conference stickers.
- If you like your daily items of personal use to exude elegance, you can apply matte stickers to them. These can be used on laptops, phones, notebooks, and water bottles. If you are into scrapbooking or art journaling and do not like a flashy outlook, you can decorate these with matte stickers as well.
- You can seal envelopes, wrap gifts, or decorate packages with matte stickers. They add a professional touch to the presentation and are great for creating a minimalistic look.
Uses of Glossy Stickers
- They are commonly used for branding and marketing purposes, as the shiny finish helps to attract attention and makes the design stand out. They are great for adding a professional touch to business cards and packaging materials.
- These can also be used to personalize items such as a tumbler, water bottle, laptop or furniture, especially if you like shine and glamor. The sticker gives a more bold and dynamic look.
- Glossy stickers are also used as labels specially on cosmetics and beauty products. They give them high-quality and eye-catching appearance. They are also used as point of sale stickers.
- They are great as event stickers as well, such as the ones used in concerts, festivals, or conferences.
There can be many other uses for both matte and glossy stickers. It is their utility and the demand of your project that decides which type you should use.
The Final Verdict
It is quite difficult to decide whether one should opt for matte or glossy stickers. You will have to select according to your project and environment. Glossy stickers can be used outdoors due to their high durability; for indoors, matte is the best.
The most noticeable distinction is in their texture. The glaring and vibrant glossy stickers grab the attention quickly while matte stickers appear to be muted and dull. If you want your project to be eye-catching then glossy stickers are the right choice but for a luxurious look, matte is the best.
We cannot pass a verdict on any one of them because both have different properties that are suitable for different surfaces, projects and environments. It actually depends on your requirements, usage and personal choice.