Posted By Ahijoy on April 13, 2022
DIY Glitter Tumbler Ideas - Complete Tutorial
A tumbler adorned with glitter sparkling in all its glory is always a beautiful sight to behold and be mesmerized. If it is something you have never seen before then the glitter tumbler is probably a DIY project that is customized for personal use. You can bedeck a simple tumbler with glitter employing a process that might be time consuming, but holds great creative satisfaction.
Add shimmer to your everyday drinking vessel - that one tumbler that you cannot leave home without. Even the coffee that you so religiously carry to work every morning will taste better in your DIY customized glitter tumbler. Let’s explore some amazing ideas to add that touch of glamor to it and the complete process of adding glitter to the tumbler.
Glitter Tumbler Ideas For Inspiration
There is so much room for experimentation when you work with different vibrant shades of glitter and vinyl for your tumbler. There is a lot of variety as far as colors are concerned and the vinyl is also available in different finishes. Here are a few great ideas for your next project.
- Make a glittery rainbow. Rainbow signifies hope and happiness. To drink from a tumbler with glitter rainbow design every morning will add freshness and new zeal to your day. Mix up a bunch of shades and add a blissful rainbow design on your tumbler.
- It should have your name on it. Personalize your tumbler by making decals of your name or initials. This also makes for an excellent business plan where you can create and sell customized and themed tumblers with the client’s glitter encrusted name on it.
- With the fall season comes the pumpkin spice weather. Themed tumblers with the appropriate color scheme and glittery pumpkin decals are sure to be a hit. You can also create a glitter pumpkin Halloween tumbler. For Christmas, you can add so many designs. It is always wonderful to see a Santa in the center bearing gifts.
- Why go for any design, simply cover your whole tumbler with glitter in single or multiple shades. You can apply glitter in a diagonal linear pattern or create a two toned look with half of the tumbler in a different shade. It will add a pop of color to your day as well.
- Flowers and butterflies make for a cheerful morning. You can add glitter around a pretty floral pattern made with vinyl. Add butterflies, bumblebees or ladybirds to enhance the cuteness.
- Add witty wisecracks or interesting one liners in vinyl to your glitter tumbler such as ‘Why Limit Happy to an Hour” or “Coffee Keeps Me Calm.” You can give the glitter tumblers as a gift to your parents with “The Best Mother” or “The Best Father” written on them.
When it comes to playing with glitter, vinyl and a tumbler, there is no dearth of ideas. Simply put your creative caps on and start crafting.
The Extensive Glitter Tumbler Tutorial
The entire procedure is pretty long hence it has been broken up into 3 parts to help you follow the guide easily, but first things first, gather the right tools and equipment for the project.
Equipment Required For DIY Glitter Tumbler
Here is the complete list of items you will need:
- A tumbler. It is better to get a stainless steel tumbler as it is easier to handle and does not absorb a lot of moisture. Plus any application whether of Mod Podge, vinyl or Epoxy will not be a hassle. All in all, you will be able to carry out the whole process smoothly.
- Painters tape. This will protect the surface where you do not want the paint splatter.
- Spray paint. You can get any color you want just make sure it is in contrast so that your glitter is visible. You can also use acrylic paint and apply it with a brush on your stainless steel tumbler.
- Mod Podge. It will be the binding force between the tumbler and the glitter.
- Premium quality glitter. There are many different types available in the market. The one that you buy depends on the look that you are going for.
- Brushes. These will be used to apply Mod Podge, paint, if you are using acrylic and Epoxy. Make sure to get flat silicone brushes.
- Epoxy Resin. We will be using this as a sealant to bind the whole thing together.
- Disposable rubber gloves. These are highly essential to protect your hands especially when applying Mod Podge and Epoxy.
- Tumbler turner machine. It is automated and helps in Epoxy application. It keeps rotating the tumbler at a slow pace.
- Plate or tray, or a plastic sheet. You will be needing this for catching drips especially during Epoxy application.
- Sandpaper to smooth out the surface. It is best to use 190-220 grit sandpaper.
- Electronic cutting machine. You can use any that you are comfortable working with. Cricut and Silhouette are the most commonly used.
- Transfer tape for applying the vinyl decal.
- 15. Squeegee and cutting mat. These are important for transferring the vinyl design. You can get the best quality squeegees at Ahijoy that are perfect for a crease free job.
- A tool for holding the tumbler when applying paint and glitter. You can easily make it at home by cutting a small PVC pipe and putting a pool noodle the size of your tumbler at the end of it. You will put this inside the tumbler and hold it from the pipe.
Stage 1: Painting The Tumbler
Starting off with a clean and smooth base color is essential. It provides the foundation of how your tumbler is eventually going to look. Hence, choose a color that complements the glitter you are planning to use.
- Clean your stainless-steel tumbler thoroughly and let it dry. Then completely seal the bottom and top portion of the tumbler with the painter’s tape. You will cover the top, lip portion because that’s where you will be drinking from and you do not want paint on it. Make sure that the tape is applied properly and it won’t allow any paint through. You will also have to make sure that the paint doesn’t get inside the tumbler so it is better to stuff it with paper towels. Hold the tumbler with the tool you have made with the pool noodle and PVC pipe.
- Choose a spray paint color and start the process in a properly ventilated area. Place a newspaper on the ground and the tumbler on top of it. Lightly spraying even coats of paint on it. Do not forget to wear gloves. You do not want any paint on your hands. You can either get a monochrome look or a two toned one with different paints. Make sure you choose a color that will make your glitter visible and vibrant and does not make it dull. If you want to draw a linear, swirly or any other pattern then use acrylic paints and apply them with a brush.
- Paint the tumbler outdoors so the fumes can disperse and it dries quickly. Try and do it as evenly as possible. Once you are happy with the look, let the paint dry completely before adding glitter.
Note: If you are using a plastic tumbler, make sure you apply the paint that stays on it.
Stage 2: Adding Glitter To The Tumbler
This section is the most extensive as it requires multiple steps to ensure that the glitter stays in place throughout the period of usage.
- There are various ways to make the glitter stick to the tumbler’s surface which include using Epoxy, spray adhesive and Mod Podge. For this tutorial we will use both Mod Podge for this step.
- First, apply an even layer of Mod Podge onto the tumbler with a brush. Make sure that it is thoroughly covered. Keep a tray with paper underneath to catch excess glitter. Use your holding tool for applying Mod Podge all over evenly with a flat brush. Now pour glitter on it while it is still wet. Rotate the tumbler while adding your preferred glitter. Make sure to apply glitter all around the tumbler. You can even apply glitter of different colors making linear or swirly patterns or simply mix them together. Bring creativity into play and make a shimmery wonder. Cover the whole tumbler evenly and thoroughly. It is imperative to use a premium quality glitter that can withstand sanding later on.
- Once you are satisfied with the look, let the glitter and Mod Podge layer dry overnight for best results. If you think your tumbler needs a second layer of glitter, apply Mod Podge again to get a thorough coverage with glitter.
- Seal the glitter using any clear coat spray. You can use an acrylic sealer or a clear gloss sealer. It is better to do it in a ventilated area preferably outside because some sealants have a strong odor. Let it dry for a few hours. The coat spray will further reinforce the layer of glitter and it will not shed into your epoxy which will be applied later on in the process.
Stage 3: Adding Epoxy Resin To The Glitter Tumbler
- Remove the painter’s tape which was added in the beginning from the top and bottom of the tumbler. Leaving a slight margin between the layer of glitter and the top of the tumbler, reapply the tape.
- Set your tumbler on the turner machine before starting the process of mixing Epoxy.
- Now you must apply Epoxy but there are a few things to look at before you do that. First, use a good quality food-safe Epoxy Resin that is approved by the FDA. Wear gloves and do this process outside your home to ensure proper ventilation. Prepare the area where you have set the tumbler turner. This apparatus should be set in such a way that it spins at a correct angle. This way, there will be minimal Epoxy drip. Place a plastic sheet under the tumbler when it is placed on the turner to catch any drips.
- Prepare the Epoxy mixture according to the instructions provided with it as much as needed for your tumbler. Generally you will have to mix the A and B parts together in equal proportions to activate the mixture. Slowly stir the mixture. In two measuring cups, take 15ml each of solution A and B of Epoxy. Pour them both in a cup and mix them with a wooden stick at a slow to medium pace for at least three minutes. Make sure there are no bubbles in the solution.
- Apply Epoxy with a silicone brush while the tumbler is spinning slowly on the machine. The Epoxy should completely cover the glitter with a smooth coat all over.
- Leave the tumbler spinning on the machine for 6 to 7 hours. Place a plate or tray under it to catch drips.
- Let the tumbler dry completely for as long as it takes. It should not be sticky to the touch. Remove the painter’s tape from the top.
IMPORTANT: Epoxy can be toxic while it is curing hence take safety precautions. Wear gloves when handling it and do not let it come in contact with your skin. Rinse thoroughly with soap and water if contact occurs. Work in an area that is properly ventilated as fumes from it can be injurious to health as well.
Stage 4: Transferring Vinyl Design On The Glitter Tumbler
Now comes the fun part. You can add any vinyl design or decal to further beautify your DIY glitter tumbler.
- After your tumbler has dried completely, use sandpaper to smooth it out. This will scuff up the Epoxy a little bit. This is an important step which will make the surface even though the tumbler will lose its shine a bit but don’t worry, you will get it back. You will use 190-220 grit sandpaper for this. If you do not make the surface smooth, the vinyl will not stick to it.
- After this, wipe off the tumbler using rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth. Once clean and dry, you can add the vinyl decal of your choice. Visit Ahijoy for a vast collection of premium quality adhesive vinyl in amazing shades and finishes.
- Cut out your design using your favorite electronic or manual cutter. Weed off extra vinyl then apply transfer tape on top and smooth it out using a squeegee. The squeegees at Ahijoy are best for this step.
- Transfer the design onto the glitter tumbler where you want it to be and smooth it out once more applying pressure. Lastly, remove the transfer tape slowly.
- Now add a second and final layer of Epoxy to seal the vinyl. You will do it exactly the same way as you did previously. Tape the top and bottom of the tumbler. Put it on the tumbler turner machine and apply the Epoxy mixture with a silicone brush. Let it sit for a few hours or as long as it takes till it’s completely dry. Remove the tape and your DIY glitter tumbler is ready!
What Is The Best Glitter For Tumbler?
The best glitter is the one that is of excellent quality and is specifically made for crafting. It should withstand the harshness of Epoxy without melting or dissipating during the process of curing. It should also not change its color or lose its shine when Epoxy is poured on it.
Glitter comes in various sizes depending on the kind of finish you are looking for. If you want to add details to your project, you can use fine, micro glitter. There is also chunky glitter if you want your tumbler to be extra sparkly. You can also get glitter with an iridescent shimmer to present a play of colors in light. There is multicolored glitter as well that will add flamboyance to your tumbler design. If you like extra shimmer, apply several coats of glitter on your tumbler.
Before applying on your tumbler, test a little of your glitter to see how it reacts with Epoxy so your project doesn’t get ruined. If you are not using all of your glitter right away, it is imperative to store it in an airtight container. This will prevent it from clumping and you can easily use it later on for your next DIY project.
Safety Measures When Using Epoxy For Making Glitter Tumblers
When working with Epoxy, it is important to follow these measures to keep yourself safe and make a perfect glitter tumbler.
- Epoxy is a chemical just like bleach and paint. It can irritate your eyes and skin. Avoid touching it without gloves and wear eye protection. If you get it on your skin, wash it off immediately with soap and water.
- If Epoxy has come in contact with your skin and is sticky, do not use alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover) to take it off. Rub it off using a pumice stone. This might be a bit time consuming but safe.
- Work in a well-lit and well ventilated area. The fumes of Epoxy can be hazardous to health. If you can, wear a mask for extra protection.
- It is good to wear an apron when working with Epoxy. You do not want to get it on your clothes even. Wet Epoxy will not come off from your clothes.
How To Make A Manual Tumbler Turner At Home?
If you do not want to spend on a turner machine you can easily make one at home for making your glitter tumbler but it will not be automated and may have some restrictions.
Materials you will need:
- Cardboard box (at least 14 inches tall and wide, and 10 inches deep).
- Long rod.
- Ruler or measuring tape
- Scissors or box cutter
- Pool noodle.
Steps to make the turner are:
- Measure and mark the center of one of the shorter sides of the cardboard box using a ruler or a measuring tape.
- Make a hole through the center of the marked spot and insert the rod into the hole.
- Cut a piece of pool noodle to place on each end of the rod. It should fit snugly inside your glitter tumbler when you place it at the end of the rod.
- When you place a tumbler on one side of the rod, you will have to balance it by placing another on the other side of the rod.
- Use your hands to rotate the rod, turning the glitter tumbler as you apply epoxy to the surface. Do not forget to place a tray or a plastic sheet underneath to catch Epoxy drips.
Your simple tumbler turner is ready. To effectively use it, it's important to be mindful of the time and constantly rotate your tumbler. As the Epoxy begins to set and the drips become less frequent, you can adjust the rotation interval to every 3-5 minutes. This way, you can ensure a smooth and even coating on your tumbler.
Note: This is a simple and low-cost way to make a tumbler turner, but keep in mind that it requires some manual effort and may not be as precise or efficient as a motorized turner. Also, make sure to follow all safety precautions and wear appropriate protective gear, especially when working with chemicals.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you take that same old, plain gray tumbler with you whenever you head out, it is time to revamp it. Though it gives its maximum when it comes to utility but in appearance, it is no less than an eyesore. Who does not want to get rid of the banality of life and add a little sparkle in it? Everyone loves glitter in literally everything! From clothes, jewelry, home décor to now drinkware.
Making your own glitter tumbler is a tiresome but fruitful process. If you are looking to start your own small business, this is the perfect opportunity as customized tumblers are very popular. So, get your craft tools, visit Ahijoy for the best adhesive vinyl and start your journey today!