Posted By Ahijoy On January 13, 2022
How To Make Multicolor Vinyl Stickers?
Colorful vinyl stickers look extremely beautiful and captivating when applied to embellish a surface. You can use them to show off the logo of your brand, decorate your favorite album or scrapbook or make a statement by putting them up on the vehicle's rear windshield. Master the art of making them and you can utilize them in many creative ways. Read on to find out how you can make vibrant, exquisite stickers.
Benefits Of Using Vinyl Stickers
Vinyl films are durable, long lasting and environment friendly. They are also extremely easy to maintain. Stickers made out of vinyl portray all these qualities as well. There are many benefits of using multicolored vinyl stickers:
- There are innumerable options in colors and finishes of vinyl stickers. You can even mix and match two textures to create a stunning piece of art.
- The best part about vinyl stickers is that they are easy to clean and wipe, hence they look newer every time.
- They are also waterproof which makes them best for both indoor and outdoor usage. The stickers would last longer if taken care of by using fade protection.
- Multicolor vinyl stickers are highly versatile. They can even withstand damage from oil. However, do not let the oil stay on them. Any spill has to be cleaned thoroughly.
- They are even UV resistant. They do not fade that easily.
- They are cost effective as well. Vinyl is not a very expensive item. You can easily create them at home with only a small investment.
- Lastly, they are easy to apply and remove. When removed, they do not leave any residue behind, and even if some is left, it can be cleaned without any hassle.
After knowing the key benefits of using vinyl stickers, you might be pretty excited to make them. In this blog, we'll guide you all about how to make multicolor vinyl stickers. Layering different colors to get the desired look might be difficult but the outcome is always breathtaking.
Which Vinyl Can Be Used For Stickers?
Adhesive vinyl is the best to use for stickers. It comes in two categories: permanent and removable. Permanent vinyl has a tough adhesive and is also sturdy enough to fight harsh environment elements which makes it long-lasting outdoors.
Removable vinyl does not have a very strong adhesive and is mostly used indoors away from sunlight and harsh weather. If you want your stickers to stay on for a long time without fading and losing their shimmer, then go for permanent adhesive vinyl. Here’s what you need to make flamboyant vinyl stickers.
Tools Required For Multicolor Vinyl Stickers
The right tools are very important while crafting. This is what you need for a perfect job:
- Premium quality vinyl. If you want a wide variety of this under one roof visit our Ahijoy website.
- Measuring tape or ruler.
- Design software.
- A cutting machine such as Cricut or Silhouette.
- Cutting mat.
- Weeding tool.
- Transfer paper.
- Parchment paper.
The process of making multicolor vinyl stickers might be slow and time consuming but it is highly satisfying and you'll love the final design!
Step Wise Process Of Making Multicolor Vinyl Stickers
Ready with all the tools gathered? Let’s start crafting:
1. Choose Your Image Or Design
Select the image or the design you like. In order to be on the safe side, it is better to draw it by hand first. Once you have decided, use the software on your computer to create the design. There are many software programs you can choose from for this purpose. You can work on Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator if you are well versed in them and then later transfer the design onto the software that comes with the cutting machine. With Cricut we get the Design Space and with Silhouette we get the Silhouette Studio.
If you do not have an idea of the design you want on your sticker, you can also choose an image from the vast directory these software programs have. This will make the process of selecting and creating a much easier.
2. The Dimensions Of The Sticker
The design that you want on the sticker should be of the right size according to the substrate on which you want to place it. Measure the dimensions with a measuring tape or a ruler. You should know the right size to place the sticker perfectly. Adjust the sticker’s size accordingly on the software that you are using.
3. Ungroup The Layers Of The Design
In order to add different vinyl colors to the design, you will have to ungroup it on the software you are using. By ungrouping, you will separate each layer of the design. If you are using two colors, you will ungroup the design in two parts, and if you are using three colors, then in three parts.
In Silhouette Studio, you simply have to select the design and right click on it. You will get the option of ungrouping. Click on it and the layers of the design will separate.
If you are using Cricut’s Design Space, click on the design, then go to the layers panel on the upper right side of the screen and click ‘Ungroup’. If you feel any layer is not required, delete it. You will notice a black shadow behind all the layers. It is important because it creates the background.
Let’s say you have the design with two layers, it will be ungrouped in two parts. Two different colored vinyl sheets will be cut in the cutting machine.
4. Cut The Vinyl
Now, it is time to cut the vinyl. You can cut any part of the design first that you have ungrouped. Place the vinyl on the cutting mat along the grid and cut all the components of the design. Don’t forget to adjust the cut setting according to the vinyl used to get a perfect job done.
5. Weed Off The Negative Vinyl
When the different layers of the design are cut, remove the excess vinyl which is not needed in the design. This might be a complex task for which you will need a weeding tool. Check out the best quality weeding pens in exquisite designs available at Ahijoy.
6. Set The Layers Of The Design
Take transfer tape slightly bigger on all sides than your design. Place the top layer of the design on it and make sure there are no creases or bubbles by scraping with a squeegee. Remove the backing. Place this layer on the parchment paper. We use parchment paper because we do not want the two designs to stick together at this juncture.
Line the top layer with the parchment paper on the base layer. Make sure that the two layers are placed on top of each other correctly and are perfectly aligned. Now lift the top decal halfway from one side and rip away the parchment paper from underneath to stick that portion of the design to the base layer.
Use a squeegee to smooth creases. Once it is pasted perfectly, lift the other side of the design and take out the remaining parchment paper to stick the design to the base layer.
Now cover the entire design with a transfer paper and burnish it for a smooth finish. The next step is to transfer the layered decal to the substrate.
7. The Final Design Placement
Finally, remove the backing and apply your decal to the surface. Your craft with a beautiful multicolored vinyl sticker is ready! A multicolored sticker would definitely rock more than a monochrome sticker.
Different Uses Of Multicolor Vinyl Stickers
Multicolor vinyl sticker looks beautiful and eye-catching, and can be used to embellish many plain surfaces such as:
- Water bottles.
- Car bumper or rear windscreen.
- If you own a skateboard, you can decorate it with multicolored vinyl stickers to give it a distinctive appearance.
- Tea or coffee mugs.
- Cool phone covers.Cool phone covers.
- Flower pots.
These are only a few ideas. You can use multicolor vinyl stickers almost anywhere you want as they are awesome with a vibrant look. Following are some tips and tricks that would help you create perfect stickers.
Tips And Tricks
- Make sure that special vinyl sheets such as glitter, holographic or flocked make the topmost layer of your sticker. They cannot be used as the bottom layer.
- If you think you will not be able to place the layers correctly, you can put registration marks on each layer so that it goes at the right place.
- When placing your vinyl sticker onto a substrate, make sure that its surface is clean and grease free.
- You can use masking tape to help you position the sticker.
- Apply your stickers in a shaded area, away from direct sunlight.
Different Adhesive Vinyl Available At Ahijoy
Ahijoy has a vast collection of premium quality adhesive vinyl available in the following designs and textures. These are perfect for multicolor stickers: